MINISTRY & SERVICE
Room 105, Colin McGonigal, Director of School Ministry
THE SEASON OF LENT IS UPON US
Wednesday, March 1: Ash Wednesday – our school community will gather for a prayer service including distribution of ashes. Many thanks to Fr. Genito of the National Shrine of St. Rita of Cascia for joining us.
Thursday, March 16: Full school retreat for all students. More details will be provided. The theme will be solidarity as we work to fulfill our pledge to become a Global High School through Catholic Relief Services.
All students will have the opportunity to participate in Operation Rice Bowl through their Theology courses. To learn more about Operation Rice Bowl click here .
Worry less about your son/daughter carrying cash and help the lunch lines move quicker. Consider putting money on account. Click here for detailed instructions.
Rm 111, Megan Heffernan, Guidance Director, mheffernan@
neumanngorettihs.org, 215-465-8437, x.243
Seniors, please bring in all college and scholarship acceptances that you receive to Guidance, so we can recognize your achievement.
Any senior student who needs a mid-year report (first semester grades) sent to colleges they have applied to, please fill out a form in the guidance office. This is a different form than the transcript request form and does not have a fee. Contact Ms. Heffernan with any questions.
Sign-ups for the spring section of SAT prep are now open. Limited spots are available. Please sign up in Guidance by Thursday of this week. Classes will begin on Monday, March 6, and run up until the May 6 SAT. Details will be given out in your English classes.
At the beginning for the quarter, Ms. Heffernan visited the Junior English classes to discuss the college application process, and what students should plan to do Junior year to prepare. Click here to view the guide: Click here to view the Junior year college planning guide. The major take-aways were:
- SAT: All juniors should take the SAT (or ACT), preferably starting in May of their junior year. The SAT is offered here at NG on May 6, and the registration deadline is April 7. The recommended timeline for when to take the SAT is May, June, and October.
- Letters of recommendation: All juniors should request teacher letters of recommendation by the end of the 3rd quarter. Students should talk to the teachers in person; but most importantly, be sure to request a letter from the teacher on Naviance. Click here for instructions.
- College research, visits, and requirements: Students should be researching colleges and majors that they are interested in applying to. A great resource is My Big Future. Students are also encouraged to visit the colleges they are interested in, and take tours of the campus. Students are reminded to be aware of requirements for admission – this includes the SAT score, high school classes taken, and grades that the colleges are looking for students to have. Be sure to have safety, target, and reach schools.
At the beginning of the quarter, Ms. Pizzuti visited Sophomore English classes for a college and career discussion. Students practiced using Naviance (the online tool for sending materials to colleges), and took a career survey to research different majors and career options. Students also familiarized themselves with College Board to review PSAT scores, and understand how to register for the SAT’s.
Our 2016-2017 annual appeal was mailed to alumni in early October. This year, gifts from the annual appeal will support scholarships and new building renovations. If you are interested in making a gift, contact Shaniqua Rudd, Director of Advancement, at 215-465-8437, ext. 235, or mail your check, made out to Ss. John Neumann & Maria Goretti Catholic High School, 1736 South 10th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148.
FROM THE ALUMNI OFFICE
The Millay Club Wants You!
Share your time and talent as an Alumni Class Ambassador or volunteer at Neumann-Goretti. Complete Details and Sign-up Form
Save the Date:
Saints Got Talent!
Thursday, March 9, 7:00 p.m.
(Presented by the Parents’ Association)
The Parents’ Association is requesting donations for the Talent Show.
PLEASE TAKE THE Archdiocese Parent Continuous Improvement Survey, which is open until March 3. Help us better understand what we are doing well and what needs improvement. Our goal is to have more than half of our families complete the survey.
Winter has come to the Philadelphia area. A friendly reminder of our Inclement Weather Policy:
Neumann-Goretti falls under the umbrella of “All Philadelphia Parochial Schools”. Any schedule changes will be announced by your local news or news radio (KYW1060am) to their related websites, such as philadelphia.cbslocal.com/schools/. When possible we will send notification to you through our School Messenger system (voice calls and emails to parents, Faculty & Staff) and social media outlets, but please do not depend on school notifications as your primary resource. In most cases, the news will announce before the school.
Absence Policy Reminders
What is considered an excused absence?
- The only absences which can be excused are three (3) or more consecutive days with a doctor’s note.
- A parent meeting will be required for a student who accumulates 24 or more excused absences and additional documentation may be required.
- Single day absences (even with a doctor’s note), although we appreciate and encourage keeping us well informed of your child’s health, are NOT excused.
What documentation is required when my child is absent?
- A written parent note on the school form (available in Room 109) is expected when a student returns to school from any absence. This is required for record keeping but does not excuse the absence.
- Three (3) or more consecutive days of absence requires a doctor’s note. Please attach the doctor’s note to the school form.
- If a student accumulates 15 absences, then any further absences are required to be accompanied by a doctor’s note. Please attach the doctor’s note to the school form.
How else can an absence impact my child’s standing at school?
- A student is responsible for all missed work according to each teacher’s attendance policy.
- A student may not participate in an extracurricular activity on a day they are absent from school.
- Accumulation of more than 21 unexcused absences requires participation in a summer program which includes a fee.
- Seniors will not receive a diploma until completion of the program and may lose the privilege to participate in graduation exercises.
For more info please see the Student Handbook.
Boys Basketball PCL Championship vs. Wood on Monday, 2/27, 8:45PM at the Palestra. Limited general admission tickets are still available to purchase at school for $8. Click here to purchase ONLINE tickets (no promo code needed).
Basketball Playoff Reminders for Students and Fans from the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Catholic League
- Profanity and /or derogatory insults of any kind toward officials, student-athletes, opposing fans and their cheerleaders will not be tolerated.
- No signs, rollouts or holding up “face signs” will be permitted in the facilities
- No costumes or face-painting
- ALL spectators will be required to wear a shirt at all times.
FACILITIES & ACTIVITIES
Save the Date: Saints Got Talent!
Thursday, March 9, 7:00 p.m.
Presented by the Parent’s Association
The Parents Association is requesting donations for the Talent Show.
Sunday, April 2, 12:00-3:00 p.m., Swan Caterers Waterfall Room, 2015 S. Water Street, Tickets: $100 per couple. Last day to purchase tickets: Friday, March 17.
JUNIOR PORTRAIT APPOINTMENT FORMS: Will be given out Monday, February 27, during homeroom. Hold on to these forms. Portraits are the week of March 6. Boys muse be clean shaven; girls are advised to wear a spaghetti strap tee.
JUNIOR PROM: Tickets are on sale in the Tuition Office. The cost is $100. The Prom will be held at the IATSE Ballroom, Friday, April 21, from 7:30 – 11:00 p.m. Contracts are needed for all students, Neumann Goretti and Outside dates. Outside dates need to have the contract signed by their parent and the school they attend, so make sure you give your date the contract as soon as possible. Contracts are available in the Student Affairs Office, room 104.
In celebration of Black History Month, the Cultural Diversity Club will be hosting African fusion dance classes on Thursdays in the auditorium from 2:45 – 3:15 p.m. So come out to learn a little and shake a lot. Come dressed in comfortable clothes to move in.
FRESHMAN & SOPHOMORE DANCE: Tickets on Sale in the Tuition Office. The cost is $60 per couple and $30 per single. The dance will be held on Saturday, March 25, in the gym from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Contracts are needed for all students, Neumann Goretti and outside dates. Outside dates need to have the contract signed by their parent and the school that they attend, so make sure you give it to them early so you can hand it in as soon as possible. All contracts are due Friday, March 10.
Please see the Student Affairs letter, specific to each grade, in the report card mailing for updated information about the remainder of the school year. Also the letter was emailed to parents according to grade level and the letters are linked to homepage of our website.
Here are some highlights:
Please see the Student Affairs letter, specific to each grade, in the report card mailing for updated information about the remainder of the school year. Also, the letter was emailed to parents according to grade level and the letters are linked to the homepage of our website. http://neumanngorettihs.org/
This Week’s Schedule
ACADEMIC AFFAIRS, Room 110
Mrs. Torres, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org 215-465-8437, x.22
Mrs. Ragno, Administrative Assistant, email@example.com 215-465-8437, x.227
- 3rd Quarter Progress Reports: Entered in Grade Connect by Monday, 2/27; WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY – A PAPER VERSION WILL NOT BE MAILED.
- 3rd Quarter Parent-Teacher Conferences: Tuesday, 3/14, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
- 3rd Quarter Ends: Friday, 3/31
Attention Parents of Advanced Placement (AP) Students
All students who are currently enrolled in an AP class, both online and in-person, are required to take the AP exam. There is a $93 fee for each test. The test fee will be billed to your tuition account in March. This week students will receive paperwork on how to apply for a fee reduction to reduce the price to $53 per test. Details about pricing, test dates, and test rules can be found by clicking here to see the AP Bulletin on College Board’s website. Feel free to reach out with questions to Mrs. Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Room 109, Lincoln Townsend, Jr., Dean of Culture email@example.com, 215-465-8437, x.228
WINTER UNIFORMS ARE MANDATORY
White, button down dress shirt (worn with only one button undone at the collar and tucked-in), any t-shirts worn under the white dress shirt are to be white or gray with no writing, school sweater worn at all times, school skort (old skirt permitted for returning Juniors and Seniors), school stockings, school shoes, school headband (plain black or plain white no more than 2.5” wide).
White, button down dress shirt (buttoned at the collar and tucked-in), school tie, any t-shirts worn under the white dress shirt are to be white or gray with no writing, school sweater worn at all times, school pants, school belt, school shoes.
Please notify Sr. Catherine in Room 109 as far in advance of a college visit as possible. At lease one-week’s notice is preferred.
Denise Arrigale, Tuition Officer
firstname.lastname@example.org 215.465.8437 x 246
The Tuition Office is open every day but Wednesday.
PAST DUE BALANCES
The Archdiocese requires that all balances be current. Students balances cannot be over 90 days past due. The Archdiocese requires us to suspend students who are 90 days past due. Please keep your account current to avoid any disruption in school days. We will be scheduling exit interviews for families in January as necessary. Please make a payment / plan if you are behind!! Currently 9 of 11 bills have now been mailed.
Parents of current 9th, 10th and 11th grade students should complete the new 2017-2018 Financial Aid Application at www.smartaidforparents.com. There are detailed instructions on our website if you need more information. This application must be COMPLETED and VERIFIED by Smart Tuition in order to qualify for any and all financial aid. Please contact Smart Aid at 800.360.8027 to ensure that your application is final.
GIRLS OF SINGLE PARENTS
Check out www.ellistrust.org to see if you qualify to apply for this scholarship. The deadline of March 1 is quickly approaching.